What If Everyone is excited to launch BAGS OF HOPE, which is the weekend backpack meal program for Winding Springs Elementary. In Mecklenburg County, 35% of households with kids face food insecurity. Winding Springs Elementary is a Title 1 school with a 97% poverty level. When school is closed many of the students go hungry. We are starting a weekly initiative to provide a bag full of ready to eat or easy to prepare food for designated students to have over the weekend. A lack of adequate food leads to poor academic performance. We can help change that!
How can you make a difference?
- Donate specified food items and plastic grocery bags
- Sponsor a child for a week, a month or a school year ($7, $28, $250)
- Help sort food and pack bags weekly
- Take packed bags to the school each Friday
- Do a food drive at your office, school, etc.
- Single serve size peanut butter packs
- Canned soup, chili, pasta, preferably pop top
- Single serve size cereal, oatmeal
- Single serve mac-n-cheese
- Granola or cereal bars
- Applesauce or fruit cups
- Tuna or chicken in pouch or pop top
- Shelf stable milk or 100% juice
- Single serve size snacks, crackers, pretzels, etc.
Please bring your donations to the North Campus at the Hope Center on Sundays or Mon.-Thurs. during office hours. If you have questions please email Ashley Fazal.